Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Cravings

Oddly enough, I get cravings to cook things, not so much cravings to eat things.
That's not to say I don't sample what I create, of course!

Sometimes a craving comes over me that is too strong to be postponed.
Not ignored. Life's too short to ignore cravings. 
Never do that.
But postponed. Sometimes the craving comes at an inopportune time...like the middle of the night.  (I never let that stop me, but I'm usually up anyway!)

Yesterday, it was bacon. (I'm not even a huge fan of bacon. Oh, it's good. Possibly the Root Of All Evil, calorie-wise. You could wrap absolutely anything in bacon, and it would taste good. But I stay away, for the obvious reasons of  my posterior: left cheek and right cheek.)

But, alas, the craving was bacon.


100_8082

Before I knew it, there were bacon and onion sizzling in a pan. Spaghetti was boiling on the next burner.

100_8084
eggs, cheese, and salt and pepper were fork-blended in a small bowl. The fresh parsley was ready to be chiffonade-ed....

100_8083

When the macaroni was done, I tossed the whole mess in a bowl, and had this:

100_8085
100_8086
Spaghetti Carbonara.

We didn't let the fact that we'd just finished dinner stop us from diving into this. 

What, you don't get intense cravings to cook something before you've even cleaned up the dinner dishes??

Is that just me?

That 'fresh' parsley? I pick leaves off my plants, wash them, and lay them out on a towel to dry. 
When free of moisture, I pack them into airtight containers and store in the freezer. The Best!
I do it with basil, too. I don't know for sure how long it 'keeps' that way, I use it up before I've ever  had it turn into anything else. But it keeps my plants producing!

And now...I feel the need to knead something.....

2 comments:

  1. Could I please come live at your house? Wonderful food for two days now. I don't know how to cook this kind of food. Umm good.

    Did you say there is no grocery store on the island? That wouldn't work for me, we run to the store all the time.

    How often do you leave the island? This is all so fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks absolutely DIVIIIIINNNNNEEEEEE. Seriously... I need lessons from you, lady! We usually "add water" to our dinners.

    ReplyDelete