Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Damn you, Science Channel!

Here I am, getting good and twitchy...haven't been off the rock since November 15th...thinking about making a run for it in the next few weeks...


and flipping through the channels tonight (The Big Guy has gone to bed and released his kung-fu grip on the remote)....

and there was this...

this...

...gulp...HUGE WAVE. 

dwarfing an oil tanker.

It wasn't so much that I 'kept the channel on to watch the rest of the show' 
    as
 'I was paralyzed with fear and couldn't turn away nor move my finger to the appropriate button to put what I should have been watching...Spongebob. or Andy Griffith.'

For others who can't turn away from the train wreck, here's a link to 2 of the ships who survived 100 footers, and some of the cool-if-I-didn't-live-on-an-island-and-hate-boats science.

Oh.My.God.

Killer Waves.

How could I watch such a thing?
Why would they make such a documentary that I might accidentally watch?

I saw cargo ships- do you know how freakin' huge those suckers are?- that looked like they were sawed in half. Massive steel hulls, just ripped open.
by, um, water.

That's why I no longer fly, by the way. I learned the meaning of "wind shear".
All set with that, thanks.


This is a sure-fire panic attack in the making.

Oh, and friends and neighbors?
I will likely NOT be leaving the island until July.
I rely on your kindness to your favorite neurotic. Please continue to bring me food and toilet paper.
not necessarily in that order.



3 comments:

  1. Didn't I tell you that this HDTV thing was amazing. Shows that you watch now are so real. The best are the Science Shows. We got hooked on Deadliest Catch last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it scary when you can't look away? Number Guy and I once watched a documentary into the wee small hours of the morning. Topic? Guys who pretend to be police officers and spend lots of money to trick out their cars and buy police gear and uniforms in order to kidnap unsuspecting innocent women. Truly, we were grossed out and yet at each commercial, we left the set on the same freaking channel waiting for the next segment. Scary riveting.

    PS - Thanks for reminding me to check the tp supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Passing Down Crazy's comments got me here...
    and then I discovered where you are in the "real" world. When you come off the island in July, I might just be close enough to meet you in person! I visit my Mom every year -- in coastal Maine. She's moving from Bremen to Brunswick this year, and won't have actual coastal views anymore, but she's still about a mile or two from the water. Let's plan!

    ReplyDelete