Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Beach, Baby!

We hit the beach yesterday (Friday) where I did this:


100_5238
And the kids did this:

100_5191
It was a perfect beach day, at my favorite beach in the world. The waves were kick-ass, to boot. 
Thing One couldn't get enough of the water, Thing Two...not so much. The waves were pretty violent and a little too much for him. He got knocked off his feet twice, and wouldn't go past his knees (I'm not complaining...it was easier to keep an eye on him!). 

100_5232

100_5199
Even these two couldn't stay away...and I'm going to consume mas quantities of crap for putting this awful picture of a certain someone on here...but he was off scoping the beach babes and this was the one and only pic I got of him! So tough nuggies.
100_5200
Even this guy got in on the act!

Today we see how well we applied our sunscreen. Thing Two gets 5 stars ('course, I applied it), Thing One gets 4 stars (probably because the waves washed off a lot of it and she spent much of the day in the water).
I get 5 stars for the front of me, 3 stars for the sides, and 0 for the back!
Ouch!

So, this is the crocheted beach coverup. I've had this idea/pattern rattling around in my head for a while, since I found this yarn on Ebay last winter. 
It's all cotton, tie-dyed, in two different weights-bulky and DK.
I knew it would be top-down and seamless. I knew it would be mesh-yoked. I knew it would be A-line. 
But from there down, I'm on the fence. I've tried to 'wing it' twice, with 2 different stitches and I don't like the look. Here's the latest:

100_5239
I think this is a keeper! 
This is for Thing One, and she has tried it on 482 times so far (I have the hardest time judging when to split off  the sleeves for the top-down raglan....).

My fingers are a bluish-green from this yarn. Think a vinegar bath will set the dye enough, or do I need to do some serious investigation on how to set the dye?
Any handpainters out there???

2 comments:

  1. Not a dyer, but I think you're on the right track with a vinegar bath. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...I heart beach knitting!!

    ReplyDelete