Pages

Monday, June 16, 2008

The rest of the story

     About that 'Under the Sea' sweater, I neglected to mention that I had less than one yard of the light blue yarn left when I finished. I was beginning to worry when I did the wave pattern on the second sleeve. By the time I finished the colorwork, I was fretting over it. By the time  I picked up stitches for the neck, I was sweating bullets. I probably would have done 2 or 3 more rounds for the neck, but it looked okay as it was. I ended up frogging and re-knitting the neck 3 times.

     And I've lost the pattern!! I'm so mad, because it's awesome; the math is worked out for top down raglans in three yarn weights and like 8 sizes! I've looked everywhere I can think, and I cannot find it. That means it will turn up in some weird place in the future.....or it fell into the trash. I haven't looked at it since checking the length for the first sleeve, which was a longish time ago. 

Can you tell it's driving me nuts?

On a positive note....
remember this girl?

100_4685
that's Em, on the left.

She and Chris dropped by tonight, kind of late (for them...they are 'in bed by 9pm' kind of people).

SPORTING A VERY LOVELY SHINY DIAMOND ON HER LEFT RING FINGER!!!!

I am so excited for them! This was a long time comin'!

I was so excited, in fact, that I didn't think to grab the camera and get a picture of the two of them, leaving me to recycle this old one of Ms. Em....soon to be Mrs. S.

       Ahem, plus I was curled up on the couch in my jammies, so jumping around to get the camera would have been slightly embarrassing in front of Chris. 
        See, I say that, and then I remember that there isn't a soul on this island who hasn't been  blessed with the sight of me nursing two babies. I was topless (at home, anyway...and, you know, that one time in Walmart), for something like 3 years, give or take, and islanders have the disturbing habit of just walking into each other's houses unannounced. No knock, no call, usually just a shout as they come through the door. It's led to some very....umm.... interesting situations. Truly, there isn't a single person on this island who couldn't describe any or all of my nightgowns. It bothered me until I had kids; now my house is so noisy, if someone was to knock, we'd never hear it. And, you know, they've already seen all my not-ready-for-primetime-nighties.

Edited to add: These are sounding  like the sheer, fur-trimmed nighties one might find on certain ladies of a certain profession....NOT! I'm talking about ripped, threadbare, old lady nighties, here, folks!

Hey, today was the day for open sign-ups for the Yarn Pirate Booty Club, and I'm in, baby!
Pirate yarn, yum!
I feel lots of socks coming on!!!


I've finished that pair of fingerless mittens and started another. Since I've been on the couch with a very sick Princess, I've moved right along on this pair. It helps that I learned a new trick last night:
magic loop two at a time!!!!
    I tried this before, and couldn't get it on. I was determined today, however, and wasn't moving until I got it. Turns out I was pulling the wrong needle out to knit with. Could NOT figure out why I only had one needle and a cable when I got to the second mitten. And then it clicked, and it's the same darn thing as doing ML on one mitten! And now there's no going back. It's fantastic! Imagine, no second sock! Imagine, all the increases and decreases lining up!
Love it!

Thanks to Dirkey for providing the incentive to list and accomplish 5 new things this summer.
That's two for me so far:
1. made stitch markers
2. ML 2 at  a time
 Check out her awesome blog, she's posting hints for "Frugal Fridays" that are cool, too.

Tomorrow we are taking an emergency trip off to the doctor. I don't know what's wrong with this kid, but it turns out she DID have fevers all last week...our stupid ear thermometer wasn't working. We found out Thursday night, when her fever was 103'.  Now it's gone on so long, that we can't get her fever down. Probably should have taken her off today, there were lots of boats coming and going, but no doctor. So, the Big Guy will miss a day fishing, and run us over in the morning to sit in the office until they can squeeze us in. 
She's just miserable. I am thinking sinus infection.

Happy Father's Day, Dads. 

We saw the Big Guy for about an hour today, at dinner. He tore the roof off the boat, and worked on it from 4:30 this morning until 6pm. Then he fell asleep in his chair. Yup, it's all glitz and glamour over here, folks. I was in jammies at 4:00 today, and the kids never did get dressed!

And my house stinks of fiberglass and resin. pee yoooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment