Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Cleaning For A Reason

I have a confession to make.
     I hate housework.

If you know me, you know I clean obsessively. If you know me well, you know that I do it not because I love to clean, but because I love it to be clean.
Huge difference.

We've probably all been in a situation where we just couldn't get to the cleaning.
Illness, sick kids, crises at work, extended family or friends needing time or attention...there comes a time when our own housework gets set aside.

Remember this, 20 year old who routinely lifts 300 pound post CABG patients without help 5 nights a week: Someday you will be 40, with far more responsibilities (kids, house, volunteer work, job) and no back-up. THAT'S when your back goes out from that lifting. Not when you're 20. Enjoy.


And that right there, is exactly why this is THE GREATEST THING EVER.

Free professional house cleaning services for woman undergoing treatment for cancer.
Yes, yes, and YES!


from the home page of www.cleaningforareason.org

Some days I'm overwhelmed from my little, insignificant job at the Post Office that seems to commandeer so much of my time (why IS it so contentious, that little post office??), and the school board, and the kids and the Bakery...
...and really? Now I've got to go home and look at dust??

And then I think....imagine coming home from chemo....to dust, and dirty floors, and pissy bathrooms (If you've got boys, you've got pissy bathrooms. Fact of life.).

 I can't think of a nicer thing to do for somebody.

And yes, friends and family can, and do, offer to clean. It's not the same. Most women will never ask. Most will say NO to help. Most don't want people they know poking around their pissy toilets. 

If you have People Who Help Maintain Your Home, please pass this on! 


No comments:

Post a Comment